Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chili with a hint of Guatemala

As you all know, I am NOT a cook. I try really hard and sometimes I might get it right. Hahahaha! On Monday, it was nice and cool and a PERFECT day for chili! I usually make my chili following the directions on the back of the chili seasoning packet (for non cooks!). But, today, I felt like improvising.

Ingredients (of course, not with specific measurements):
1 lb of ground turkey breast
1 can Kidney Beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can rotel
Chili Seasoning
Cumin
Garlic Salt
Garlic/Onion seasoning
Cayenne Pepper
Gallo (Guatemalan Beer) can be found at World Market under the name Famosa
Shredded Cheese
Wheat Ritz Crackers

Directions:
Brown turkey and season with cayenne pepper, garlic salt, and cumin. I didn't drain because the meat is super lean. Put meat into crockpot. I then added the kidney beans (with juice), diced tomatoes (with juice), and rotel (with juice). Add package of chili seasoning and the other seasons to taste. To finish, I added the Gallo for the extra kick (the alcohol cooks out, so don't worry). I cooked in the crockpot for 5 hours on high, stirring occasionally.

We found this chili to be super yummy and had just a hint of spice. We added shredded cheese and crumbled wheat ritz crackers to "thicken" it up. Even Caroline liked it!

1 comment:

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

sounds pretty good, I like you am suppose to cook but it does not come naturally to me either. I just made chili but it was out of elk meat and very spicey, we decided just Joe could have it. Maya calls all beer Gallo I must say if you have to drink beer its actually decent tasting.