Saturday, January 3, 2009

I must not lie, I am not a cook!

So, one of my New Year's Resolutions is to become a better cook. I thought I would try my hand out at beef stew for tomorrow night. We have a busy day tomorrow since we both have tennis matches up at Oglethorpe; so I thought it would be nice to come home to some warm beef stew.

I found a recipe at A Year of Crockpotting and set to work. However, I got distracted (umm, I wonder who did that??) and misread the ingredients. Instead of 1/4 cup of red wine, I added 2 cups! So, I tried to compensate for my mistake and I added water, more beef broth and potatoes. I'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow.

I am also trying to stay around $5 a meal for us. I didn't accomplish this goal but came very close to it! Actually, I might have even come under it if you count the fact that we will be eating on this for two meals.

Cost for meal: Beef stew meat-$3.36 (I had a coupon for meat at Target)
Red Wine- $2.49 (Trader Joe's special)
College Inn Beef Broth- FREE!
Green Beans- 9 cents
Onion, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, carrots-- Around $1.75 total

Total Cost: $7.69 for three people for two different meals!

No comments: